Wrongful Death Questions And Answers
The list below includes the most frequently asked questions people ask us about wrongful death. The team at Reinig, Barber & Henry has provided our answers to each of the questions. Since every case and situation is different, please call for a free consultation to seek specific answers to your needs.
What Should I Do?
The most important thing to do is to consult an experienced attorney who has extensive experience in Washington and Oregon wrongful death claims.
What Does The Term Wrongful Death Mean?
The term “wrongful death” means someone loses their life because of the fault of another.
Does It Have To Be A Car Accident? Could It Be Anything?
It could involve anything, including:
- Any conduct that negligently or intentionally caused someone to die
- A company that made something incorrectly
- The mistake of a doctor
- A company which made a piece of equipment with a flaw that caused someone to get killed
- A pharmacist who incorrectly filled a prescription
What Damages Can I Recover?
- Medical expenses – All costs incurred for health care should be repaid to you including ambulance bills, hospital bills and charges for surgical, medical or chiropractic care.
- Funeral expenses – You are entitled to a sum of money that will enable you to pay for your loved one’s internment.
- Lost future earning capacity – The deceased person’s estate is often entitled to a sum of money to compensate for the lost capacity to earn income in the future.
- General damages for pain and suffering – The claimant may be entitled to be compensated in dollars for pain and suffering.
How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
An action for wrongful death must normally be brought within three years of the decedent’s death.
How Do I Pay My Attorney?
Our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means we take a percent of the total win for a wrongful death case. If there is no recovery, nothing is owed. Experts are frequently required to be hired to establish a wrongful death claim and the attorney advances those expenses with the right to be reimbursed at the end of the case.
You can be confident that you are selecting attorneys that will respond to your concerns and treat your case with the utmost professionalism.